[vc_cta h2=”Writer Contest Rules”]
ENTRANTS RETAIN PUBLICATION RIGHTS
METAMORPHOSE RETAINS FIRST PUBLICATION RIGHTS
$10 ENTRY FEE IS REQUIRED
ADDITIONAL ROYALTY ELIGIBILITY
OPPORTUNITY FOR NEW AND AMATEUR WRITERS OF NEW SHORT STORIES OF SF OR FANTASY
- A $5 entry fee is required, and all rights in the story remain the property of the author. All types of science fiction, fantasy, steampunk, and dark fantasy are welcome.
- By submitting to the Contest, the entrant agrees to abide by all Contest rules.
- All entries must be original works, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person’s universe, without written permission, will result in disqualification. Excessive violence or sex, determined by the judges, will result in disqualification. Entries must not have been previously published in professional media.
- Simultaneous submission are not accepted for the contest. This means the work cannot be under consideration elsewhere while it i still under consideration for the contest.
- To be eligible, entries must be works of prose, and comply with the level of authorshipship for the author entering the contest (Novice: 3000 wds; Initiate: 4000 wds; Fabler: 7500 wds) . We regret we cannot consider poetry, or works intended for children.
- The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories (with the exception of Fabler-level authors), in any fiction or creative non-fiction medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment of at least 6 cents per word, and at least 1,000 copies sold or 1,000 website hits.
- Entries must be submitted in 12pt Times New Roman font, double spaced, with numbered pages. All other formats will be disqualified. Entries submitted electronically must include the title and page number on each page in the header only, but not the author’s name. Electronic submissions will separately include the author’s legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, e-mail address and approximate word count in the body of the submission.
- There shall be one cash prize in each category: a First Prize of $50, in US dollars.
- The Contest currently has 1 open quarter, beginning on February 1 and ending April 30. To be eligible for judging in its quarter, an entry must be received electronically no later than midnight (CST) on the last day of the quarter. Late entries will not be considered and must be re-submitted through General Submission for online consideration, or at the start of the next quarter.
- Each entrant may submit only one manuscript per quarter. Winners are ineligible to make further entries in the Contest and may only submit through the General Submission for online consideration.
- All non-winning entries may still be considered or publication in print or on the website, and the author will be notified prior to such publication.
- All entries for a quarter are final. No revisions are accepted once the entry is submitted.
- Entries will be judged by professional editors and writers. The decisions of the judges are entirely their own, and are final.
- Winners in a quarter will be individually notified of the results by e-mail within 4 weeks of the closing date of the contest.
- This Contest is void where prohibited by law.[/vc_cta]